Thursday 28 August 2014

Doll Bones by Holly Black.


Summary: 
Zach, Poppy and Alice have been friends for ever. They love playing with their action figure toys, imagining a magical world of adventure and heroism. But disaster strikes when, without warning, Zach’s father throws out all his toys, declaring he’s too old for them. Zach is furious, confused and embarrassed, deciding that the only way to cope is to stop playing . . . and stop being friends with Poppy and Alice. But one night the girls pay Zach a visit, and tell him about a series of mysterious occurrences. Poppy swears that she is now being haunted by a china doll – who claims that it is made from the ground-up bones of a murdered girl. They must return the doll to where the girl lived, and bury it. Otherwise the three children will be cursed for eternity . . .

This was a lovingly light read that I think would be fit for both a younger and an older audience!
  Although I have heard of Holly Black many times previous to this book, I just haven't had a chance to read any of her books yet (probably because my TBR pile has grown taller than me! Yikes!) this book definitely gave me a great first impression and I will definitely be buying some of her other works.
  This book was interesting and a definite page turner and it was the most unique ghost story I've read in a long long long time, and, if you've read my other reviews, you'll have seen that originality is something that I look out for when reading a book.
  I loved the writing style - it was easy to read and I never once got bored, or tired of it, I just wanted to carry on reading right through to the very ending - although, of course the need for sleep sadly prevented that.
  The character development was also very intricately put together in this book as we kind of see the different perspectives of growing up and we also see significant change in all three of the characters by the end of their quest.
  The plot was well thought out - I have to just point out that I love the back story to it all! - and kept me  wanting to learn more from start to finish.
  This truly was a wonderful story.
 
  *****5/5 stars*****

No comments:

Post a Comment