Thursday 21 August 2014

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfield.


Summary:
Darcy Patel has put college and everything else on hold to publish her teen novel, Afterworlds. Arriving in New York with no apartment or friends she wonders whether she's made the right decision until she falls in with a crowd of other seasoned and fledgling writers who take her under their wings… 

Told in alternating chapters is Darcy's novel, a suspenseful thriller about Lizzie, a teen who slips into the 'Afterworld' to survive a terrorist attack. But the Afterworld is a place between the living and the dead and as Lizzie drifts between our world and that of the Afterworld, she discovers that many unsolved - and terrifying - stories need to be reconciled. And when a new threat resurfaces, Lizzie learns her special gifts may not be enough to protect those she loves and cares about most.

  So, first off, I have to say that I preffered this book by a ton to Scott Westerfields previous work, Uglies. Although it didn't completely grab my attention at times, I never thought it was actually boring, like I did with Uglies. So, there's a plus.
  I was very excited to read this book, especially with the main protagonist being a young author herself, I thought that I would click and connect with her straight away - and I was correct. I loved the fact that there were two stories in this book - and part of a third (Pyromancer) - but, despite this, it still meant that it became quite a lengthy novel and I thought it was quite heavy - you know, like when you eat a slice of cake and it's so good but it's also really hard to finish? That's what this was like, and I guess, if I'd have been more relaxed whilst reading it, I might have had a different opinion; but I guess it's all a matter of taste.
  That being said though, I found no other faults in this book; it was written impeccably, the story flowed brilliantly with the plot clearly well thought out and, though complicated, understandable. I also loved how, rather than just one, we got two, and part of a third, if you count the start of 'Pyromancer' stories, and how, in Darcy's world, and in some cases Lizzies, Westerfield managed to keep it realistic. Oh yeah, he also chucked in a death god for purposes of YA hotness, which is always a bonus!
  So, overall, though this book didn't make it into my favourites, I still enjoyed it and would definitely reccomend it - just make sure you're ready for a long read before you start!
  I really do hope there's going to be a sequel to this book and if there is I'll be at the front of the line waiting to snatch it up.

****4/5 stars****

No comments:

Post a Comment