Saturday 12 July 2014

Searching For Darkness by Leah Ward.


  Summary:
Edwin is a Seer, one of the few remaining in the world, who can see places and animals that the normal eye cannot. When his parents, the legends that would find the ancient cave and destroy the book Darkness, are killed before they can, Edwin finds it his duty as heir to the legends, to live out their destiny. In this day and age, wolves twice the size of the average ones with red beady eyes, walking piranha that destroy anything in water or on land, and even a pearlescent white dragon will only be some of the creatures Edwin will have to cross to reach the cave that Darkness is hidden in. Along the way he learns of several powers that he has been gifted with, when strangely a normal Seer is only gifted one. The cave will reveal incredible secrets and what he thought to be true may just unravel the world that he is so desperately trying to save.


  So, I was given this book to review and also to be part of a street team where I got a bunch of cool goodies to do with the book including a tee and some bookmarks! (I'll post a picture somewhere). It's by a fairly new author who has also got a poetry book - The Art Of Words - which is pretty cool too and I may do a post on it in the future.


  The style of writing of this book straight away reminded me of a book a read a few years ago that I really enjoyed because it was fast paced and, unusual for a book of the early-teens age range, was actually fully illustrated. Anyway, I'm getting off track - that book was something very different and I loved the style and I was actually very happy to find it again in another book.
  The book flows smoothly and the plot line is exciting and actually kept me hooked throughout my 2 day holiday in Wales, whereas usually, when on holiday, unfortunately I tend not to read much.
  It was also a light read, which was good and if I'm honest, I couldn't really fault it; the ideas were imaginitive, the characters didn't annoy me (makes a change, haha!) and it really was something new and different, which really is a big thing I look for in a book and I know from experience that it's a hard thing to achieve.
  

  I'd also like to make a quick mention to the cover (I'm really sorry! I'm a cover fanatic) as JUST LOOK AT IT! It's beautiful! I love it quite a lot and when it arrived in the mail I believe I was just sat on my bed stroking it for about half an hour! Woops!
  I think that this is a book that will take the populous of young teens by storm. Innovative, interesting and hooks you at the first page. I reccomend it to around the 11-14 age range, or if your just someone who would like to try something new! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more of Leah's work.

***** 5/5 stars *****

No comments:

Post a Comment