Saturday 17 May 2014

Trial By Fire by Josephine Angelini


Summary:
Love burns. Worlds collide. Magic reigns.

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying many of the experiences that other teenagers take for granted...which is why she is determined to enjoy her first (and perhaps only) high-school party. But Lily's life never goes according to plan, and after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly Lily is in a different Salem - one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruellest of all the Crucibles is Lillian . . . Lily's identical other self in this alternate universe. This new version of her world is terrifyingly sensual, and Lily is soon overwhelmed by new experiences.

Lily realizes that what makes her weak at home is exactly what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. It also puts her life in danger. Thrown into a world she doesn't understand, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone, and a love she never expected.

But how can Lily be the saviour of this world when she is literally her own worst enemy?

I was captivated by this book the second I saw the authors name - I'm a big fan of Josephine Angelini and adored Starcrossed and Dreamless (although I have yet to by the final edition of the trilogy!). So, you can probably imagine my excitement to being given a copy of the ARC to this book to read and review.
So, at the beggining it was literally like my life, although of course I'm not sick and don't have a crazy mother, although it sure feels like it sometimes...(I'm kidding). But yeah, I immediately felt a connection with Lily; the star of this particular book. It was actually quite creepy though because she has red hair; I have red hair; she had a close friend called Tristan; I have a close friend called Tristan...but yeah, you get the picture, it was kind of strange for me.
Immediately I was connected with the characters in the book and grew to love, and even hate some of them (for good reason of course), and that alone, to be able to do that so early on in a book, is quite a hard technique to wield; but of course, our girl Josephine did it with style.
Even uncorrected this book was brilliant; it flowed well, I wasn't confused even though there were a lot of concepts I was new to in this book and it never, ever lost my interest. 
There were times where I wanted to throw my iPad at the wall, and times where, yes, I did cry, and even times where I felt like my jaw was touching the floor - this book had it all.
It's been one great book after another lately and this book didn't fail in bringing it's A-game.
I loved this book from beggining to end and I'm actually so eager to read the next one, even though I know that I'll probably have to wait...and that will make me cry...oh, the first world problems I face...
No doubt about the rate for this book.
*****5/5 stars*****

No comments:

Post a Comment